Monday, May 30, 2011

The problem might be you...

Me: So, your Egypt trip…
Friend: Hmmm?
Me: Will you guys be hitting Memphis?
Friend: Dude, Memphis is in the US :P LOL You don’t even know this??
Me: o_O erm dude...
(after consulting Wikipedia)
Friend: So what! I was talking about the Memphis in the US!

Sometimes, it helps to do the research. Or at least not offer an opinion on something you haven’t got the slightest clue about. The best part about the internet is that it is a treasure trove of knowledge. Knowledge on the Internet is not just condensed onto sites like Wikipedia, but it is also available on blogs, online magazines and other such websites. Usually, when I am looking for something on the internet (the history of a particular book, lets say), I browse around, and usually, I find something that is quite interesting and relevant. And sometimes, I find stuff written by an idiot.

The great tragedy of the internet is that any idiot with an opinion can create a blog and spew mindless crap. Now, I am not talking about opinion pieces or blogs that are low on content quality, but still make an effort. I am also not talking about people offering incorrect facts and interpretations of something of which they would not be qualified for anyways, for theirs is an error of ignorance, and who hasn’t been guilty of that? No, I am talking about blogs and websites that claim to be experts in an area, and then post something erroneous and inflammatory without doing any of the research (which in this day and age is basically typing stuff into a google search bar anyways). THEN, when their errors are pointed out, they still stand their ground and defend every single silly thing they said and claim that the readers did not get them.

I pride myself on being a ‘know it all’. Ever since I was a kid, I have been into books of all kinds, and that has given me a thirst for learning and knowledge that I will cherish all throughout my life. That has also left me socially awkward and adept at shaking trees, but that is beside the point here. I pride myself on my knowledge, and I take every pain to show it off as much as I can. However, what I really pride myself on is the ability to keep my mouth shut when I don’t know anything about what is being discussed, and to admit that I am wrong when I am wrong (which happens far more often than I would like). It’s a tough pill to swallow and I always wish I wouldn’t have to do it, but its something that I have to do. Most of us are the same, we make mistakes and we admit it. Its no big deal and everyone gets on with their lives. These things are brought up at times when we are amongst friends and everyone has a good laugh and all seems right with the world.

Then, you come across people who make incorrect and inflammatory comments and judgments, and when called out on it, defend their own stance and cite i) freedom of speech ii) the sanctity and unassailability of opinions iii) their credentials as experts, even though they might have made a rookie mistake, and iv) offer an apology that is no better than a ‘screw you’. There are, of course, other ways that people respond, but in my experience, these are the top four.

People do tend to get uncomfortable and defensive when they are called out on their errors, and that is perfectly fine for that is how we are built. What is not fine is turning the whole thing into a shouting match or a ‘holier than thou’ competition. What makes it worse is that a lot of people are using this tactic to gain cheap publicity and to portray themselves as different, and hence, cooler. It is not uncommon on the various social media, to come across someone like this, someone who will make an inflammatory and/or ill-informed comment, and then defend themselves by saying that because going against popular opinion is tougher, they are the ones who are right.

Seriously, how tough is it to say ‘I was wrong, I didn’t know any better’. Its not like saying ‘whoops, my bad!’ on the internet will get you a lifetime ban. If anything, you might get a few admirers for having the balls to say that you made a mistake. Similarly, how much of a wannabe do you have to be for you to want to be contrary just for the sake of being cool. The chasm between ‘cool’ and ‘weird’ isn’t very wide, and it is called ‘pretentious’, and sadly, that is where a lot of people end up, both in real life and on the internet. On almost all major forums or online discussions, there will be at least some who will try to appear more knowledgeable and flame bait. When you find a poster who uses extreme straw logic or even insane troll logic to defend their points, who resorts to claiming everyone else is a moron for citing facts etc, well, congratulations, you have found someone who is perhaps the most annoying-self-righteous-pretentious-little…

Sorry, got carried away a bit there. Anyway, to summarize, if you meet someone like this, assume that this is a test to judge your character, and quietly ignoring these people will net you just as many points with the god of your choice as laying the smackdown on them in the most awesome way possible.

Also, if the description above seems to apply to you, then I would offer you the same advise that The Rock has given countless times:

KNOW YOU ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

(Note: This incoherent rant was inspired by this post. Please read it for some further context)

2 comments:

  1. Your Egypt travelling friend sure sounds like a jerk! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah :P I'm so glad none of you guys are like that.

    ReplyDelete